Tofterå Slettemoen genealogy


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 308» Next»     » Slide Show


John van der Raadt

(1895-1990) When he got married in 1918 Johannes is registered as a smith. Moved from Noordwijkerhout to Roosendal on May 17th 1921 and to the Hague on Feb 1 1924. When he moved the Hague he had started selling bicycles (rijwielhandelaar).

On 1939-03-10 John registered the bicycle brand RABUR, from van der Raadt/van den Burg bicycle factory, in the Hague. During the war he would smuggle messages to the reistance in the frames.

They had a house on 321 Laan van Meerdervoort, above the bicycle factory. John had built a secret wall behind the furnace. There was a nazi across the street, who the boys with shoot at with bb guns, uncle Louie smoothed out the drama. The family also unwillingly had to put up nazi officers.

After the war Holland was very poor. The business was ruined because of the confiscation of the merchandise. He thought he had to start all over again. After visiting his daughter Maria in Canada, they liked it very much, and he decided to start over in Canada instead.

Owner of originalLucy Tofterå
PlaceMoose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada
File nameopajohn (2).jpg
File Size6.47k
Dimensions200 x 289
Linked toJohannes van der Raadt
Albumsvan der Raadt | van den Burg | van Veen | Overwater

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... 308» Next»     » Slide Show